Thursday October 12, 2006

It took me a bit longer to get to posting all of these wonderful recipes then I had intended.  Thanks for being patient with me!  I’m sure I could have done a nicer job getting these on here, but my time for the computer today is short.  I hope you find a couple of “keepers” here for your family!

God bless you as you look well to the ways of your households.
Proverbs 31:27

————————————————————————————-

This apple recipe is one of the best I have for two reasons! First, it comes from my great grandmother (the one that made the yellow quilt and whose pic is in my bedroom). I have such fond memories because I remember picking apples at her farm and then going to her old hoosier (sp?) and making applesauce and then apple dumplings! Second, it’s just downright delicious! Mmm

My Dommy’s Apple Dumplings

Cut together 2 cups flour (self rising) 1/3 cup crisco. Add water as needed. This should form 8 good sized dumplings.

Put in chopped apples (Dommy used homemade applesauce) 1 tablespoon sugar, sprinkle cinnamon on each and close together.

Syrup: 2 cup sugar, 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Boil together for five minutes. Set off burner and put half stick butter in. Stir until melted.

Put dumplings in baking dish. (Dommy said to add a little flour to the bottom of pan before you add the dumplings.) Pour syrup over dumplings and bake 30 minutes in 375 degree oven. Enjoy!!

Posted 9/25/2006 at 11:40 AM by hppyhmker

Wha a cool idea to have a drawing!!! Below is my favorite fall recipe. I love the smell of it cooking in the crockpot all day!! YUMMY!!!!

<TT>
CHUNKY APPLESAUCE (recipe from Fix It and Forget It)

8 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks or slices
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2-1 cup sugar, OR cinnamon red hot candies ( use only 1/2 cup of sugar as 1 cup was too sweet)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 8-10 hours, or High 3-4
hours. Makes 8-10 servings

Posted 9/25/2006 at 3:21 PM by Ostara

You left a comment at my sister’s blog – Element of De-tale…so I thought I would visit your site. It is very nice and I like the apple recipes. Jessica Apple Squares 1. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt 2. Cut in 1 cup shortening 3. Separate 2 eggs. The whites will be used later. In a measuring cup beat egg yolks and mix with enough milk to make 2/3 cup. 4. Add to flour mixture. 5. Mix to get dough and then divide into 2 parts. 6. Combine 5 cups of paired and sliced apples(that’s like 10-12 apples depending on the size) with 1 1/2 cups cornflakes (or Total) 7. Add in 1 cup of sugar. 8. Also add 1 teaspoon cinnamon. 9. stir and set set aside. 10. Roll out dough to fit half of a camp cookie sheet pan. 11. Spread filling on dough. 12. Roll out other half and place on top of apples. 13. Seal edges. 14. beat egg whites and spread with fingers all over the top. 15. Bake at 350 or for you a different temp. for 1 hour. Cool and drizzle on glaze. Glaze: 1 1/4 cup Powder sugar 3 tablesppons water 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Posted 9/25/2006 at 4:08 PM by jessitay_99

I sent this recipe to another friend and she has a convection oven…so cook the squares at 350F for about 30min-45 min or until done (golden brown).

Posted 9/25/2006 at 4:10 PM by jessitay_99

we are coming out of the woodwork!!! I want to enter your drawing PLEASE@!!!

A quick apple recipe but not my most favorite but close!

For breakfast take one apple washed, core it. Stick cloves in it with brown sugar a TBSP of butter and a small amt of sugar and microwave on high in a safe dish for about 7-9 minutes (depending on microwave) and you have a great little treat!

homemakerang

Posted 9/25/2006 at 6:32 PM by homemakerang

Apple Cranberry Desert

One of my favorite fall desserts is the following:

Peel, core and slice about 5 apples (Granny Smith are wonderful for this recipe)

Mix wix with some sugar and cinnamon

Top with whole cranberry sauce

Slice sugar cookie dough and place on top of the apple/cranberry mix

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until cookie dough is lightly browned

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!

Posted 9/25/2006 at 10:12 PM by kymk99

Oh, I would love to enter this! My favorite apple recipe comes from the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” Cookbook. It’s called Baked Apple French Toast. The best part is that you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. I use it for overnight guests and for Christmas morning.

3 large green apples

1 stick butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

12 oz. cream cheese

12 slices firm bread

8 eggs

1 qt. milk

2 Tbsp. vanilla

cinnamon

Set rack in lower third of over and preheat oven to 350. Butter a 13×9 inch baking pan. Core and cut the apples into thin wedges, leaving the skin on.

In a skillet, melt butter with brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. water. Add the apples and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish and let cool.

Cut cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples. Cut the slices of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.

In a large mixing bowl., beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, taking care to dampen all of the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. (This reheats beautifully).

Posted 9/26/2006 at 5:06 AM by mrskbrook

Can’t pass a deal like this one!! My “apple” recipe is probably too simple to be fair…but…one of my favorite Fall apple drinks is this: apple cider, 1/2 gallon, heated on the stove…add in 1/4 to 1/2 bag of cinnamon red hots (or Imperials) and stir then continue to heat. Stir frequently. This will gain a lovely Autumn Red-ish hue and smells wonderful. It can also be refrigerated and drank cold, or, reheated. The red hots can also be added to homemade applesauce to give it a lovely pinkish color, and add a bit of cinnamon-y sweetness!! ~Tea

Posted 9/26/2006 at 6:31 AM by SimpliciTea

Oh, goodie! A contest…I love contests. And here’s my recipe from Gooseberry Patch’s Flavors of Fall cookbook so I get entered 2x… Swedish Apple Pie 3 lbs. apples, cored, peeled and sliced 1 cup plus 1 T. sugar, divided 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 egg, beaten 3/4 cup melted butter 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 cup chopped nuts Arrange apples in a buttered 10” pie pan; sprinkle with one tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Combine remaining sugar, flour, egg, butter, and salt together; toss in nuts. Sprinkle over apples; bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 8. Submitted by Amy O. (picketfencemom) http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/picketfencemom

Posted 9/26/2006 at 9:48 PM by picketfencemom

Hello Mrs. Copper. My favorite apple recipe is the oven roasted pear sauce. But use apples leave out the ginger. Add lemon peel and a couple of star anise. Have a great day Clarice

Posted 9/27/2006 at 2:22 PM by claricewa

NOTE:  You’ll have to click the link to Clarice’s blog for the pear sauce recipie that you can make with either pears or apples.

Ooooooo, this is fun!!

Apple Buttermilk Pie

2 med. Granny Smith apples

1 1/2 C. sugar, divided

3 large eggs

1 C. buttermilk

5 1/3 Tbls. butter, melted

2 Tbls. all-purpose flour

1 Tbls. cinnamon, divided

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 tsp. nutmeg, divided

1 (9-in.) unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350. Peel and core apples; cut into small chunks. Place apples in small bowl. Cover with cold water; set aside. Reserve 1 tsp. sugar. Lightly beat eggs in med. bowl at low speed. Add remaining sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, flour, 2 tsp. cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg; mix at low speed until well blended. Drain apples thoroughly and place in unbaked pie shell. Pour buttermilk mixture over apples. Combine reserved sugar, remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and custard is set. 50-60 min. Serve warm.

Posted 9/27/2006 at 7:28 PM by stampinlady

I’ve been looking forward to your contest! Here is a recipe for Caramel Apples that I like heaps better than melting Kraft’s:

Caramel Apples 1/2 c. butter 1/2 c. cflour

2. c. sugar 2 cans sweetened condensed milk

2 c. light corn syrup 2 t. vanilla

Melt butter, add syrup and sugar, boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cans of milk, mix 1/2 can milk with the flour and add. Stir constantly until it darkens and forms the soft ball stage (230-235 degrees). Add vanilla. Makes about 20 apples, have apples ready, and put on a buttered cookie sheet after you dip.

Posted 9/28/2006 at 5:56 AM by barbieheart

Thanks for adding me! Here is my (one of my) favorite apple recipes.

Cider Beef Stew

2lbs stew meat

3T. flour

3T olive oil

4 cups apple cider or juice

2T lemon juice

1/4 t basil

1 bay leaf

1/2 t allspice

4-6 whole cloves

4 carrots

3 potatoes

2 onions

1 apple

Combine beef, flour and salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in large dutch oven and brown the beef well. Add cider, lemon, basil, bay leaf, allspice, cloves and onions. Bring to a boil and then simmer at least one hour with cover. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add apple about 20 minutes beforeturning off…great served with biscuits. It tastes even better the next day!

Posted 9/28/2006 at 9:24 AM by russmo31

I would like to enter also! I love aprons!
Apple recipe…
Apple Nut Ring
2 7.5 oz pkgs. refigerated buttermilk biscuits Or homemade and cut out
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2Tbsp. ground cinnamon
3-4 medium sized apples peeled, cored and sliced
1/3 cup nuts, chopped

1. Seperate biscuits
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter
3. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl
4. Dip biscuits in butter, and then roll in sugar mixture. Arrange biscuits, so that they overlap, around the edge and into the center of a greased 9X13 baking pan.
5. Place sliced apples between each biscuit and around the out edge of the baking dish.
6. Mix the nuts with any remaining sugar mixture.
Sprinkle over top of biscuits and apples.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until biscuits are a deep golden brown.

Posted 9/28/2006 at 10:46 AM by PrairieLady

How fun! I love fall, CW! (As you know since you read my blog!) Here is a great recipe for you so now you can enter me twice! :+)

BAKED BRIE WITH APPLES & CRANBERRIES
½ cup chopped apple
¼ cup sliced natural almonds
¼ cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter melted
1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese (about 4 inches in diameter)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coarsely chop apple. Combine apple, almonds,cranberries, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Mix gently. Stir in butter. Cut Brie in half horizontally. Place one half of Brie, rind side down on bakingpan. Spoon half of the apple mixture onto bottom half of Brie, spreading evenly. Top with remaining half of Brie, rind side up. Spoon remaining apple mixtureover top.

Bake 12 –15 minutes or until cheese is soft and just begins to melt. Serve with toasted French bread, apple wedges or assorted crackers.
Yield 8 servings; Prep time: 15 minutes; Bake time: 12 –15 minutes
Recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef Cookbook

We did this for a bridal shower one time and it was SO good and it is just so fallish!

Enjoy!